The Nursery and Reception curriculum is based on the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. This allows the children to enjoy learning, make independent choices, develop their individual talents and to make friends and form relationships with those around them.
Children explore and learn through a balance of freely-chosen activities and teacher-supported tasks. Many goals are reached through play, others are worked towards within timetabled lessons such as Literacy, Numeracy, Physical Education, Music and Swimming.
From Nursery (where deemed appropriate) each child is placed in a â€˜Read, Write Incâ€™ group according to their ability. This is a daily one hour session for all pupils incorporating reading, writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Making the most of Terringtonâ€™s extensive grounds, children undertake creative and imaginative play in a natural environment in which they can try new things and build skills for life such as team-work, balanced risk taking and creative thinking. Nursery and Reception have their own enclosed outdoor play and learning area with climbing equipment, waterplay, sandplay, role-play areas and a mud kitchen. Nursery children free-flow easily between classroom and outdoors developing their learning through play under the guidance of staff.
We recognise that starting nursery is a big moment for children and parents alike and you will undoubtedly have some anxieties and a number of questions. Please be assured we are here to help make the transition from home a smooth and happy one. We would be delighted to welcome you for a personal tour of the school where you will have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you wish. In the meantime, here is an overview of our Nursery provision:
- Children can start attending Nursery the term before they turn three â€“ as long as they are dry. Whilst staff do help children with toileting, we do not have nappy changing facilities.
- Nursery provision is term time only. The school day is 7 hours (8.30am â€“ 3.30pm). Morning sessions run from 8.30am â€“ 12 noon or 8.30am â€“ 1.30pm (including lunch). Afternoon sessions run from 12 noon â€“ 3.30pm. Sessions must be booked in advance.
- Wrap around care is available.
- Children attending Nursery are actively encouraged to wear the Terrington Hall School uniform, which includes a PE kit and swim wear.
- We recognise the importance of outdoor play and learning. Nursery and Reception children have their own enclosed play area and we love to spend time in the school grounds, discovering and exploring the world around us.
- Every day in Nursery offers the children new opportunities to learn and grow. Activities such as swimming, baking, music, Forest School and PE take place throughout the week. However, due to school timetabling we cannot guarantee when activities will take place.
- We have an â€˜open doorâ€™ policy which means parents can share news and discuss any issues quickly and easily.
- All children from Nursery to Year 2, have their own online learning journal called Tapestry. The focus of this is capturing the magic of childrenâ€™s early experiences and sharing them with parents.
- We use grown-up cutlery at meal times and we cater for special diets.
- Parents can choose to use their 15 hours Government Funding at Terrington Hall. We also accept a wide variety of employer Childcare Vouchers.